Family Agreements

Co-habitation agreements

Generally cohabitants do not have as many rights or responsibilities as married couples and consequently may suffer huge financial hardship on termination of their relationship by separation or death.

Legal Advice is therefore essential if they are to protect themselves and their families.

Neither a pre-nuptial or a cohabitation agreement are binding in principle but in the recent case of “Radmacher” it was made clear that:

“The Court should give effect to a nuptial agreement that is freely entered into by each party with a full appreciation of its implications unless in the circumstances prevailing it would not be fair to hold the parties to their agreement”

As couples increasingly choose cohabitation over marriage, it is important to consider what might happen in the event the relationship comes to an end. Hudgell & Partners can prepare a Cohabitation agreement tailored to your individual needs. Contact Angela Simpson at Hudgell & Partners for a fixed fee quote by telephone on 020 8854 1331 or by e-mail to

Pre-Nuptial agreements

There may be many reasons for entering into a pre-nuptial agreement. You may wish to protect existing assets. You may wish to reassure your future spouse that you will not make a claim against certain assets. You may simply want predictability.

Few people enter a marriage in the expectation that it will end in divorce but a Pre-Nuptial agreement is likely to be upheld if the parties are aware of what they are doing when they enter into such an agreement unless it is unfair for the Court to do so.

Hudgell & Partners provide a fixed fee offer for preparing a Pre-Nuptial agreement or reviewing a Pre-Nuptial agreement prepared by your future spouse. For advice, make an appointment or e-mail Angela Simpson on

Change of Name Deed

If you wish to change your name you can do so at any time. There is no legal procedure to follow. In many circumstances however it is necessary to provide documentary evidence of the change eg. when applying for a Passport, changing your name on a bank account, altering the name on your Driving Licence. Hudgell & Partners can prepare a Change of Name Deed for a fixed fee. E-mail Tina Litchfield for a quote.

Comments are closed.